Everything You Need to Know About Poly B Plumbing
- From the late 1970s through to the mid-1990s, Poly B plumbing was used by builders and renovators across North America.
- It was considered to be flexible and affordable at the time.
- However, it was later discovered that Poly B plumbing had a molecular deficiency causing it to become brittle, crack, and fail under certain circumstances.
- Burst Poly B pipes cause flooding in both homes and apartments.
- Up until 2005, homeowners could make claims through a class-action lawsuit for reimbursement of Poly B repair/replacement costs.
- Unfortunately, this reimbursement program is no longer available to homeowners.
How do you know if you have Poly B piping in your home?
- If your home was built or extensively renovated between the late-70s and mid-90s.
- Poly B piping was known for its signature colour, generally a light grey with copper connectors and elbows.
- Look near the water heater or in the furnace room where the water pipes enter the wall.
- Additionally, look under the sink where the piping is typically exposed.
- If you are unsure, a The Super Plumber licensed plumber can help you verify if Poly B plumbing exists in your home.
What is the ongoing risk to my home from Poly B piping?
- If you have Poly B piping, the risk of ongoing deterioration is still present, and the eventual failure rate is almost certainly 100%.
- You could experience a burst pipe at any time.
- A burst pipe could result in a flood, damage to your home, and disruption to your life.
- Choosing to not replace Poly B piping could seriously devalue your home when you choose to sell it.
- Prospective buyers and their agents may demand significant discounts on the price of your home if you have not replaced Poly B piping.
The Super Plumber Plumbing’s expert plumbers have been in the plumbing business for over 25 years and specialize in preventing plumbing issues from occurring.
Have more questions about what Poly B plumbing can do to your home, or how to replace it?
- Our team is experienced in the removal of Poly B pipes.
- We will replace them with proven piping products.
- Replacing Poly B plumbing will help preserve the value of your home.
- Prevent a plumbing emergency from impacting your family and your home.
Contact The Super Plumber Plumbing for a no-charge plumbing inspection, and see how we can help you enjoy every part of your home.