You spend a lot of time in your kitchen and rely on your garbage disposal and faucets in order to perform your daily tasks. While you might take these for granted, trying to wash dishes without a garbage disposal or a functioning faucet can be difficult, to say the least! When you need kitchen plumbing repairs at your home, call The Super Plumber. We offer 24-hour emergency services to the Nanaimo, BC area.
Are your drains clogged or leaking? Learn about our drain repair services.
When to Repair or Replace Your Garbage Disposal
Garbage disposals can be very convenient - until they stop working. A malfunctioning disposal can release foul odours into your home, and can cause a major inconvenience when trying to wash dishes. When this happens, it can be difficult to determine if your garbage disposal needs to be repaired or replaced. Some signs that can help you make a decision can include:
- If a pipe is clogged or if simple wiring needs to be fixed, the unit should be able to be repaired.
- If there is damage to the motor or another large problem, then it can be more cost-effective to replace the system.
- If you have an older unit, it can be difficult to find parts -- such as bearings or blades -- for the system. In this case, it can make more sense to replace the unit.
- If you are encountering frequent issues with your unit, it can be more cost-effective to replace it.
- If your system shakes or vibrates constantly, it can indicate you need a new system installed.
If you are experiencing these issues, call The Super Plumber and have our experts help you determine if you need to repair the unit or replace it.
Common Garbage Disposal Issues
From time to time, your garbage disposal may need repairs. Some of the more common problems you may experience can include:
- Jams: These can happen when inappropriate items are placed in the disposal. This can include silverware that falls down the drain or foods like high-fiber vegetables.
- Clogs: If the food in the disposal is causing a blockage, a plumber can remove it by taking the disposal apart and removing the clog.
- Loss of power: A faulty or disrupted connection can cause your disposal to lose power.
- Noise: Unusual or loud noises can indicate there are metallic or hard plastic objects in the disposal.
- Leaking disposal: A loose screw or gasket can cause the garbage disposal to leak. A plumber should be able to resolve the issue by tightening the necessary parts.
Do you have a stubborn clog that typical methods aren’t removing? Learn about our hydro jetting services.
Maintenance Tips for Garbage Disposals
To keep your garbage disposal functioning as expected, it’s important to keep the system well maintained. Some tips to follow to keep it running can include:
- Avoid putting hard food items, like bones, in the system.
- Don’t put stringy items like pasta down the disposal.
- Avoid putting starchy items like potatoes in the unit.
- When using the system, run water while you’re using it and for a bit after you’ve turned it off.
- To keep the blades sharp, grind up ice in your disposal once a week.
- Clean the system with baking soda, vinegar, and water.
- Use lemons to freshen the system and remove foul odours.