You may rely on your garbage disposal to get rid of food scraps when washing dishes or cooking. This is convenient, until the unit breaks down. When your garbage disposal malfunctions it can cause leaks and foul odours around your sink. Call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services when you need repairs or replacements. We offer 24-hour emergency plumbing services to the Victoria, BC area.
When your sinks start to drain slowly, contact us to learn about our drain cleaning services.
Signs Your Garbage Disposal Needs to Be Repaired or Replaced
When you scrape food down the drain and flip the switch to turn on the garbage disposal you expect it to work. But if it doesn’t -- and you’re stuck with a drain full of food -- you need a professional to inspect the unit quickly to prevent foul odours from forming. Before your unit malfunctions, learn what signs to watch for that can indicate you need to repair or replace your appliance.
- A pipe is clogged, preventing the sink from draining.
- Your unit won’t turn on, which could signal the wiring needs to be fixed or there is damage to the motor.
- Your system shakes or vibrates constantly. This can indicate you need a new system installed.
Common Garbage Disposal Issues
Occasionally, you might run into issues with your garbage disposal that require professional repairs. Some of the more common issues can include:
- Jams: These can occur when inappropriate items enter the disposal, such as high-fibre vegetables, or silverware that accidentally falls down the drain. A plumber can typically resolve the issue by loosening the disposal and manually moving the plate to free the objects.
- Clogs: Major clogs can be repaired by plumbers by taking apart the disposal to remove the blockage.
- Loss of power: A faulty or disrupted connection can cause your disposal to lose power. A plumber can find the issue and restore power.
- Noise: Unusual or loud noises can indicate there are metallic or hard plastic objects in the disposal. A professional can safely remove these.
- Leaking disposal: A loose screw or gasket can cause the garbage disposal to leak. This can be resolved by an expert by tightening the necessary parts.
Are you updating your bathroom? Contact us to learn about our bathroom remodeling services.
Maintenance Tips for Garbage Disposals
To keep your garbage disposal functioning as expected, it’s important to keep the system well maintained. Some tips you should follow can include:
- Avoid putting hard food items in the system.
- Don’t put stringy items like pasta down the disposal.
- Avoid putting starchy items like potatoes in the unit.
- When using the system, run water before, during and after usage.
- Grind up ice in your disposal once a week to keep the blades sharp.
- Clean the system with baking soda, vinegar, and water.
- Use lemons to freshen the system and remove foul odours.