Does your traditional hot water heater run out of the water before your entire family is done showering? Do you have to plan loads of laundry around your kids’ bathing schedules to ensure there’s hot water for both? Don’t waste time waiting for hot water - consider installing a tankless hot water heater. These units are more energy-efficient than traditional systems and provide hot water on-demand! Call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services to learn about our installation and repair services in the Nanaimo, BC area. We provide 24/7 plumbing services!
Are you not quite ready to make the jump to a tankless water heater? Learn about our traditional water heater services.
Advantages of Tankless Water Heaters
While it can be a difficult choice in determining if you should install a traditional water heater or a tankless unit in your home, there are certain benefits tankless systems offer that traditional units do not. Some of the advantages can include:
- It only heats the exact amount of water needed. This can save you money on your monthly utility bills.
- Requires less maintenance than traditional units.
- Poses less risk of contaminated water since water is not being stored in a tank.
- Takes up less space than traditional models.
Life Expectancy of Tankless Units
Like all appliances, there is no guarantee of how long a tankless water heater will last. However, these systems typically have a long lifespan - ranging between 10 to 20 years - or longer. Of course, the longevity of the unit depends on how well the system is maintained, how often it is used, and the quality of water it is heating. The lifespan can also vary based on the unit’s make and model.
Are your aging pipes starting to require more and more repairs? Contact us to learn about our repiping services.
Common Issues With On-Demand Water Heaters
While there are many advantages to instant hot water heaters, there are some issues you might encounter during the installation process or while using it. Some of these can include:
- Cost: The initial cost of the system is more expensive than a traditional unit, however, the money you will save on energy usage will soon outweigh the price of the system.
- Installation: During installation, extensive piping, proper venting, and electrical expertise are required. This is why only a professional should install a system.
- Buildup: Corrosion and mineral buildup may occur if the unit is not flushed every six months. Schedule regular maintenance with a plumber to avoid this.
- Overload: Product overload can occur if the heater was improperly sized for its usage. Before purchasing a unit, make sure it’s the right size for your house.