If you suspect you have a gas leak, you should take it seriously and seek professional help as soon as possible. Gas leaks can pose serious threats to your family and your home and need to be addressed immediately. To protect your household, call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services at the first sign of a leak. We provide 24-hour emergency services to the Nanaimo, BC area.
Get your gas line issues repaired quickly. Call us to learn about our gas line repair and installation services.
Signs You Have a Gas Leak
One of the most important steps to keeping your family safe in the event of a gas leak is to identify the leak as soon as possible. The earlier you detect it, the sooner you and your family can evacuate the property and call for professional help. Some signs that may indicate you have a leak can include:
- An unpleasant odour -- similar to that of rotten eggs -- in or around your home.
- Dead or dying vegetation in your yard or around your property.
- Excess condensation on your windows.
- Health issues including nausea, dizziness, fatigue, or feeling light-headed.
- Any connections to gas-powered appliances that are damaged.
- A hissing or roaring sound near your gas pipes.
- Any water or dirt in the air near the gas source.
What to Do If You Suspect You Have a Gas Leak
If you suspect you have a gas leak in your home, it’s important to act quickly and follow the correct steps:
- Evacuate your property.
- Do not turn light switches on or off, as it can create a spark.
- Do not operate any electronics, including cell phones.
- Do not ignite any flames, including a match or a candle.
- Open all of the doors and windows to allow air to circulate.
- Do not start your car, even if it is in the garage or parked near your home.
- Call emergency professionals and gas leak experts for help.
If you’re updating your bathroom, don’t let the contractors install your plumbing fixtures. Leave it to the professionals! Call us to learn about our bathroom remodeling services.
Risks Associated With Gas Leaks
Gas leaks should always be treated as an emergency situation, as these can pose dangerous risks to your family’s health and safety.
Two of the biggest risks associated with gas leaks are an explosion and carbon monoxide poisoning. An explosion can be triggered by any spark near the gas leak. This can affect your home and even other houses in your neighbourhood. While explosions are typically rare, they are still a risk.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most serious dangers associated with gas leaks. This substance is tasteless, so you might not know you are breathing it in, making it a serious threat to your health. Symptoms to watch for include fatigue and nausea. If you suspect you have carbon monoxide poisoning you should immediately evacuate your home and seek medical attention.