Does your showerhead have less pressure due to calcifications on it? Is there a build-up from hard water on your bathtub and sink? These can all signal you need a water softener. Without a functioning water softener your plumbing fixtures, appliances, pipes - and even your clothes - can all be at risk. Call The Super Plumber to learn about our water softener repair and installation services. We provide 24-hour plumbing services to the Nanaimo, BC area!
Keep your family healthy with a properly functioning septic tank. When your unit needs to be repaired or replaced, call us to learn about our septic tank services.
Benefits of Installing a Water Softener
A water softener can help prolong the lifespan of your appliances and piping system and even your clothes. Take a closer look at some of the advantages of installing a unit in your home:
- Cleaner and shinier silverware and glassware.
- Softer, smoother, and cleaner hair and skin.
- Less soap scum on showers and bathtubs. This can result in less housework to get them clean.
- Softer and brighter fabrics and clothing.
- Longer lasting appliances such as coffee makers, ice makers, dishwashers, and washing machines.
- Reduced greenhouse gases. This can be the equivalent to removing one SUV from the road for one year.
How to Maintain Your Water Softener
To keep your water softener running as expected and keeping the hard water out of your plumbing, it’s important to perform the following maintenance tasks:
- Add rock salt on a regular basis, or when the salt dips below a certain level.
- Clean the unit at least once a year.
- Have a professional inspect the system on a regular basis to look for any potential issues.
Keep the water in your home clean and pure with a water filtration system. Learn about the services we provide to the Nanaimo, BC area.
Signs You Have Hard Water
You have hard water - so what? Most homes do, right? Unfortunately, ignoring hard water can have large consequences on your appliances, plumbing system, clothes, dishes, and even your hair and skin. To keep hard water from damaging these items, watch for signs that can signal you need a water softener installed at your home:
- Spots: Look for small, white spots on glassware or dishes after washing them.
- Bottle test: Fill a plastic bottle halfway up with tap water. Put the cap on and shake the bottle. Then, dump out the water. Next, fill the bottle again and add a few drops of soap to it. Shake the bottle and look for suds. The longer you have to shake the bottle to get suds to form, the harder your water likely is.
- Low water pressure: If you notice low water pressure from your shower head and faucets it could be due to a buildup of minerals that are clogging the fixtures.
- Faded clothing: Watch to see if the colors in your clothing are fading, or are wearing out more quickly.
- Irritation: Pay attention to if your skin feels dry or your hair becomes brittle.