Are you bathing your kids in lukewarm water or washing dishes in cold water due to a malfunctioning water heater? Restore hot water to your house by having your unit inspected, repaired, or replaced by trusted professionals. Call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services for solutions in Nanaimo, BC. We provide 24/7 plumbing services!
Are you looking for a more energy-efficient water heater? Learn about our tankless water heater services.
Common Water Heater Issues
Like all appliances in your home, from time-to-time, your water heater might need repairs. Some of the most common issues you might encounter with your unit can include:
- Lack of hot water: One of the most noticeable issues with your system is a lack of hot water. For gas-powered units, this can be due to an extinguished pilot light that needs to be relit. It could also indicate a damaged heating element.
- Leaking: If you have a leak, let an expert inspect it to determine if it can be repaired or if the unit should be replaced.
- Excess noise: Loud or unusual noises can signal a damaged heating element or a buildup of sediment inside the unit that needs to be professionally removed.
- Cracks: Like leaks, any cracks should be inspected by a professional to see if they can be repaired or if the unit needs to be replaced.
If you experience these problems, call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services to have one of our experienced plumbers inspect and repair the issue.
Life Expectancy of a Water Heater
Unfortunately, water heaters do not last forever. However, they will last a significant amount of time, making them a long-term investment. While every make and model is different, most electric units will last from 10 to 20 years. Of course, the amount of care and maintenance the system receives can impact that timeline. Gas-powered units might not last quite as long as electric systems.
If you suspect you have a gas leak at your home, act quickly to protect your family! Call us to schedule gas leak detection services.
When to Replace Your Water Heater
To avoid being left without a functioning water heater -- and therefore without hot water - it’s important to identify the signs that your unit needs to be replaced before it completely malfunctions. Some symptoms to watch for that can indicate you need to replace your system include:
- Age: Units typically last between 10 to 20 years, depending on the make, model, and upkeep. If your unit is getting older, it could be time to replace it.
- Losing efficiency: Your system is losing efficiency and needs to work harder to function.
- Rust and corrosion: You notice rust or corrosion on the unit or rust in the water.
- Leaking: There are leaks coming from the unit.
- Water is not warm enough: The system is no longer able to properly heat the water.
- Cracks: There are cracks in the tank or in the system.