Your family relies on your septic tank to function properly to keep them healthy and prevent damage to your property. When your septic tank needs to be repaired or replaced, call The Super Plumber. We provide 24-hour emergency plumbing services to the Victoria, BC area.
Does your basement flood during heavy storms? Contact us to learn about our sump pump services.
What Causes Septic Tank Issues?
Your family needs a fully functioning septic tank to keep your household and property safe. Some risks that can cause your tank to malfunction can include:
- Sludge buildup.
- Not emptying out a tank. This can cause it to backup.
- As it gets older your tank can deteriorate.
- Lines can become blocked in the drain-field.
- Wear and tear on drain-fields.
How Often Your Septic Tank Should Be Maintained?
To keep your septic tank working as expected, it’s important to keep it properly maintained. Experts recommend having services performed by a professional at the following times:
- If the tank is one-third full.
- At least once a year. Your unit may need to be serviced more often depending on how many people live in the household, how much water is used, and if you have a jacuzzi or hot tub. It can also vary depending on the ages of people living in your property - as teenagers and younger people may use more water than other age groups.
To keep your family safe, you need clean water. Contact us about our water filtration system services.
How to Prevent Septic Tank Issues?
Having a septic tank issue at your home is not a welcomed event, as it can cause damage to your property and create inconveniences for your household. To avoid these problems you can follow these guidelines:
- Don’t pour grease down the sink or toilet. This can cause clogs in the drain-field.
- When planning your property, position landscaping, roof gutters, and foundation drains so water flows away from the drain-field.
- Keep the drain-field from becoming water-logged.
- Clear the area around the tank of tree roots and concrete structures like driveways or patios.
- Don’t flush solid materials like coffee grounds or banana peels down the toilet.
- Schedule regular service appointments with a professional.
- Avoid using household cleaning products like bleach and drain cleaners.