When the snow mounds in your yard start to melt, it can be a positive sign that spring is coming -- but it can also lead to flooding in your basement. To avoid damage to your property, it’s important to have a functioning sump pump. These systems can help stop flooding in your home and prevent costly repairs. Call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services for sump pump repair and replacement services. We offer 24-hour emergency plumbing services to the Victoria, BC area.
Does your sewer line need repairs but you don’t want your yard dug up? Contact us to learn about our trenchless pipe repair services.
Why You Need a Sump Pump?
You might not think about your sump pump often - until you rely on it to prevent flooding in your home. These systems work to protect your property by keeping excess water from heavy rain and snow from seeping into your house. In addition to saving you money by preventing water damage to your home, these systems can also protect your family’s health. An excess of moisture in your home can lead to the growth of bacteria and mould if it’s not treated quickly. When you need sump pump repairs, call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services.
Different Types of Sump Pumps
When installing a sump pump, you have several options, depending on what functionality you need. Some types include:
- Pedestal sump pumps: In this model, the pumps are set at the top of the sump basin, which allows technicians to easily access it if it needs to be repaired or replaced. This unit has a hollow shaft or pipe that runs down to the bottom of the basin, where it pumps out the water through an installed impeller apparatus.
- Submersible sump pumps: These units have a waterproof motor and are placed into the pit. This allows for more quiet operation.
- Sewage septic pumps: This unit is typically used when black wastewater material has to be moved up a level from below the ground surface, like in a basement. These systems grind the waste into a fine slurry, which is then pumped upward into a septic tank system.
- Septic effluent pumps: These specialty devices force liquified septic fluids through drain fields.
- Battery backup: It’s important to include a battery backup on your unit to ensure it can still work even during a power failure. This can give you assurances that it won’t go out in the middle of a severe storm.
Burst pipes can quickly cause severe - and costly - damage to your home! Learn about our water main and burst pipe repair services to get help quickly.
Common Sump Pump Problems
To ensure your sump pump works when you need it most, it’s important to have repairs made at the first signs of an issue. Some common problems you might encounter with your unit can include:
- Power failures: If your power goes out during severe storms or extreme weather, your system will fail to work unless you have a battery backup installed. This puts your home at risk for flooding.
- Float valve issues: To avoid serious issues with your unit, make sure the float valve is free from any obstructions.
- Underpowered pumps: If your unit is not the right size for your home, you should have a new one installed as soon as possible to ensure it can properly prevent water from seeping into your house.
- Frozen or clogged discharge pipe: Make sure that the discharge pipes are clean and functioning properly to prevent issues.
- Worn out pump motors: If the motor in your unit wears out, consult a professional to determine if you need to replace the system.