Burst pipes and water main issues can require emergency plumbing repairs in your home. From frozen pipes to leaks, it’s important to have these issues repaired as soon as possible to limit the amount of damage. For 24-hour repairs, call The Super Plumber - Plumbing and Drain Services. We provide services to the Victoria, BC area!
Do you suspect you have a leak but don’t know where? Call us to schedule water leak detection services.
Common Water Main Issues
Any issue with your main water line should be inspected by a professional immediately. These issues can cause major damage to your home if not repaired quickly. Some common problems you might encounter can include:
- Holes or cracks: If you have an older system, look for holes or cracks that can be caused by corrosion due to soil or frost.
- Pressure: Pipes can burst if they are under too much pressure. This can cause water to flow to the surface, in the streets, on your lawn, or in your basement. If this happens, it can put your house at risk for contaminated water.
- Leaky water valve: These are common issues that need to be repaired by professionals.
What Causes Burst Pipes?
Burst pipes can cause severe water damage to your home. While these issues can happen suddenly, there are some common risks that can lead to burst pipes:
- Freezing temperatures: When the temperature falls too low the water inside of the pipes can freeze, and then expand until the pipe eventually bursts.
- Major clogs: Large blockages can cause water pressure to build up.
- Aging pipes: Corrosion and cracks can occur as pipes age.
- Tree roots: Tree roots can infiltrate your pipes.
- Shift: A shift in the earth can cause pipes to burst.
- Construction: Projects can cause damage to your pipes.
Severe storms and spring’s thaw can lead to flooding in your basement. To avoid having standing water in your home, learn about our sump pump services.
Water Main Repair and Replacement Tips
Main water pipe issues can be serious and should be inspected by a professional as soon as possible. If you suspect you have a problem, follow these tips to get it repaired:
- Call a professional: If you suspect there’s a problem, the first step is to immediately call an expert to diagnose and repair the issue.
- Get a full replacement before it’s too late: While inspecting your system, a professional can determine if the issue can be repaired or if you need to replace the line. Some symptoms that can indicate you need the full system replaced can include if your home is over 50 years old or if you’ve had frequent plumbing issues.
- Know your options: If you’re hesitant to have your system replaced because you don’t want your yard dug up, ask the contractor about trenchless options. These let you replace the water main without digging up your entire property.
- Prioritize safety: Before any work is done on your water line, call 8-1-1 to ensure there are no dangers near the pipes, such as electrical or gas lines.